Date: Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Day: 7 of 180 (so, I counted wrong the first time....this is awkward....)
Despite my most lazy efforts I’ve somehow managed to be talking to you a week from last. Wow. Good work procrastinating self. Though before I move on with the update, I should revisit last week’s post and do some explaining. Some of you have heard that story, others have not. It was not my intention to force our relationship into a territory that you are not comfortable with; it was, however, my goal to give a testimony of God’s sovereignty and love during one of the lowest moments (though highest moment if you view it through God’s eyes) of my life. Previously, I didn’t know how to answer the question regarding how I would sum up my Wheaton experience, since it depends on what my perspective should be. Also I didn’t know how the casual conversation atmosphere would take my serious testimony, so a lot of times I chose to deflect, and I apologize.
My hope with that last post was 1) help myself verbalize what I have been feeling 2) give testimony to God’s grace, mercy, steadfast love, and sovereign control over all situations no matter how painful or frustrating they may seem to us. Many passages in the Bible have been very helpful to me now that I find myself more dependent on God than ever in my life. Some of them are: Psalm 136, Romans 8, Ephesians 1:15—2:10, and Galatians 2:5-11. I would encourage you to take the time to read the surrounding passages as well. God has been so faithful, and I have found, through God’s grace, how to anxiously wait for God’s timing. Despite what I think I know, God knows best; He knows all. These passages have been an endless source of peace and comfort to me. I pray they might be the same for you.
Well, it’s been one week since I’ve started. Work is finally starting up, though the original plan as been tossed aside, which is good. Originally, I was to be guided by Pastor Cho the Youth Ministries Pastor. But when I arrived, and he accessed my initial limitations, he made the choice to move me to the Bilingual Ministries department under the guidance of Pastor Moses, which is a logical decision. There I will be able to work on my Mandarin within a group of ABCs (American Bilingual Chinese) while still being able to have the option of using English, which is nice.
After being transferred to Pastor Moses’ leadership, he immediately thought it was prudent to extend my transition time to 2 months. He doesn’t want to rush me into a ministry role before either I’m ready or my language skills are ready. So he giving me 2 months to learn the system and the language. During the 2 months, he is going to give me as many opportunities to try everything and have as much fun as possible. Learning the cultural intricacies and the language is hard enough; so he doesn’t want to burden me with an overloaded work schedule before I have found which ministry I want to devote my 6 months. So the 2 months’ time will allow me to work on my language skills, adjust to the different culture, discover what my interests are, find out which ministry coincides with my interests, and have as much fun as possible. Couldn’t be more perfect!
Overall, I’ve been adjusting quite well. Though the first night was the hardest, writing about it definitely help me get over it emotionally. Additionally, God has been faithful in His providence of relationships and opportunities to taste and savor the goodness of His Word during my down time. Since that time, God has been amazing, helping me to find strength and hope in His WORD. Those passages, previously listed, have been instrumental in my spiritual growth as of late. It is amazing how alive the Bible is when you’re desperately trying to find comfort, hope, and peace within Its folds.
Relationships have been more difficult but with each new day bring a new relationship and new opportunity to experience God’s providential grace. Your prayers have been instrumental, thank you. Please continue to prayer that God might reveal what He wants me to get involved in during my time here in Taipei.
Living and Hoping in Christ Jesus,
David
Prayer Requests:
1.) Revelation of how to spend my 6 months here in Taipei
2.) Roommates and Mine health. There seems to be a cold wafting about here
3.) Continue to pray that Mandarin would hasten to return to me.
Im very encouraged by your posts, David! Please dont be sorry to share from your heart and your struggles. Authenticity is so needed! Your posts remind me of David Brainerd, a missionary who carefully documented what God was doing in him and the people he was serving. His writings are still being used to stir and awaken the church out of its apathy. May the Lord's spirit be upon you in greater power and your life be used to bear much fruit for the Fathers glory! Tina (BBC STM department)
ReplyDelete