Friday, August 10, 2012


Date:  Wednesday, August 8, 2012
Day 28 of 180
Today in the Chinese calendar is a very special day.  It is 8/8 or ba ba, which coincidentally corresponds to the sound that the word for “Father,” in Mandarin makes in the Chinese language.  As a result, it is Father’s Day here in Taiwan.  As a challenge, Pastor Yang at TLC invited us to celebrate our fathers this week by writing a blessing to them.  So, having been moved by the testimonies of the other members of TLC during last Sunday’s service, here is my tribute to the greatest father in my life, Lawrence Y.  Leong.

Dad, I don’t know how to begin except my thanking you for all that you do for me.  Thank you for your loving support in all that I do.  Thank you for your interest in my life.  Thank you for holding me to a higher standard and, therefore, motivating me to strive to live life to the best of my ability.  Thank you, Dad, for providing me with an exceptional education at Wheaton College.  Thank you for always providing me with the means to succeed.  Thank you for blessing me with a home, a family, a bed, and an environment that allows my relationship with God to grow.  Dad, I thank you for your love for Mom.  In a world where divorce and broken homes are the norm, I thank you for no giving up and giving in.  I thank you, Dad, for your example of uncompromising faith, unquenchable grace, and steadfast love.  Furthermore, your perseverance in prayer and faith is outstanding.  And I thank you for setting the standard so high; I pray that God would work in my heart to make me half the man you are.

Thank you, Dad, for being an example of who a true man of God might look like and how he should act.  Thank you for modeling for me how one should behave and respond to Christ’s death on the Cross for us.  Thank you for being an earthly image of God in my life.  Thank you for being my father.  Thank you for all the memories:  I miss the times when we used to wrestle in the living room.  You used to trap me underneath you, and then you would tickle me until it hurt.  The one overarching memory I have from my childhood is laughter.  Thank you for your sense of humor.  Thank you for your ability to be carefree.  I remember practicing Tai Chi.  I remember playing catch in the backyard.  I remember all the times spent playing board games.  I remember all this and so, so much more.  If I were to share all of them, the memories could fill thousands of books.  I know sometimes I act complacent and do not actively show you how thankful I am that you are my father—but I am.  You are the greatest man in my life.  I love you, with all my heart.
                                                                                                      Happy Father’s Day from you son,
                                                                                                                                                梁德謹

No comments:

Post a Comment